YouthCARE is seeking a candidate for a contract position of Interim Executive Director. This is an opportunity for an Interim Executive Director to help stabilize and transform a dynamic youth-focused organization that was founded over 40 years ago. The ideal candidate will work with the Board of Directors to identify strategies for sustainable programs and position the organization for continuing success.
This contract position will be for at least a six-month period for approximately 40 hours per week.
The Interim Executive Director is a leader responsible for overseeing the strategic planning and operations of YouthCARE. The Interim Executive Director will help shape a sustainable strategy for the organization and provide leadership in identifying a permanent Executive Director. The Interim Executive Director is responsible for providing day-to-day oversight of the organization and staff. The position reports to the Board of Directors.
YouthCARE (Youth Cultural Appreciation and Racial Equality) is an award-winning, multicultural nonprofit organization that serves Minneapolis and St. Paul youth, 6-18 years old, from diverse ethnic, cultural and racial backgrounds. YouthCARE’s mission is to promote respect for self and others, develop future leaders and provide youth with positive multicultural activities and relationships with caring adults. YouthCARE operates three highly regarded programs: Camp Sunrise, YouthLEAD, and the Young Women’s Mentoring Program. Program services include youth employment, leadership development, outdoor education and positive after school, weekend and summer social, recreational and educational activities.
Board Development and Governance
- Provide leadership at all Board and Board Committee meetings
- Identify, recruit and develop Board members as necessary and cultivate positive relationships with them
- Communicate effectively with the Board and provide all information necessary for the Board to function properly and make informed decisions
Organization Mission and Strategy
- Conduct a near-term, comprehensive evaluation of YouthCARE’s organization, business model, vision, and strategic plan
- Deliver recommendations for improvement and change that foster YouthCARE’s long-term stability and success
- Help devise new models for delivering programming and services that carry out YouthCARE’s mission
- Enhance YouthCARE’s reputation by being active and visible in the community, working closely with other professional, civic and private and youth development organizations
Financial Performance and Resource Management
- Identify and engage new sources of near-term and long-term funding
- Recommend new and innovative fundraising and development strategies
- Participate in cultivation and solicitation visits with development staff and Board members
- Ensure timely financial reporting to the Board and Finance Committee
- Prepare and propose budgets and prudently managing YouthCARE resources
Management, Operations, and Leadership
- Oversee YouthCARE’s day-to-day administration and operations, including staff supervision, programmatic progress and facilities/systems management.
- Enhance the effectiveness of the team through hiring, supervision and professional development of the staff to ensure growth and success
- Ensure the implementation of youth programs, services, and activities that meet the requirements of all grants and supports positive outcomes for youth participants
- Provide leadership and direction to ensure the effective operation and delivery of programs
- Identify qualities and skills sets needed in the permanent Executive Director
- Change agent who has successfully led an organization through challenge and change
- High integrity leadership and commitment to transparency
- Solid, hands-on, budget management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision-making and reporting
- Strong organizational abilities including planning, delegating, program development and task facilitation
- Ability to convey YouthCARE’s strategic vision to staff, Board, volunteers and donors
- Knowledge of fundraising strategies and donor relations unique to nonprofit sector
- Ability to interface with and motivate Board members, volunteers, and donor groups
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including public speaking
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with and cultivate staff
- Five or more years senior nonprofit management experience
- Bachelor’s degree or higher education preferred